Re: Nvim as external editor in psql as Postgres root user - .vimrc(environment?) issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Nvim as external editor in psql as Postgres root user - .vimrc(environment?) issue
Date
Responses Re: Nvim as external editor in psql as Postgres root user - .vimrc(environment?) issue  ("Victoria Stuart (VictoriasJourney.com)" <mail@VictoriasJourney.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 03/16/2018 01:06 PM, Victoria wrote:
> Ok, here is a clumsy solution.

Still not sure why you want to run as the system postgres user. The
system user postgres is not the same as the Postgres database user
postgres. It is just convention that the system user that Postgres runs
as is called postgres. If you want to work in Postgres as the database
user postgres you just need to supply -U postgres to the client(psql in
this case). You can do that from your home account(victoria) without all
the contortions below:)

> I have this entry in my /home/victoria/.psqlrc file,
>
>    \setenv EDITOR "/usr/bin/nvim"
>
> As you see below, I symlink to that file, from postgres.
>
> [victoria@victoria ~]$ sudo -u postgres -i
>
> [postgres@victoria ~]$ pwd
>
>    /var/lib/postgres
>
> [postgres@victoria ~]$ ls -la
>
>    total 108
>    drwxrwxr-x  6 postgres victoria  4096 Mar 16 12:48 .
>    drwxr-xr-x 33 root     root      4096 Mar 16 00:00 ..
>    -rw-------  1 postgres postgres   385 Mar 16 12:49 .bash_history
>    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root     root       806 Mar 16 12:41 .bashrc
>    drwx------  2 postgres postgres  4096 Mar 16 12:23 .cache
>    drwxrwxr-x  2 postgres victoria  4096 Feb 23 13:26 data
>    drwx------  3 postgres postgres  4096 Mar 16 12:12 .local
>    lrwxrwxrwx  1 postgres victoria    62 Feb 23 15:10 .psql_history-postgres ->
/mnt/Vancouver/Programming/RDB/postgres/postgres/.psql_history
>    lrwxrwxrwx  1 postgres victoria    22 Feb 23 14:59 .psqlrc -> /home/victoria/.psqlrc
>    drwxr-xr-x  2 postgres postgres  4096 Mar 16 12:38 .vim
>    -rw-------  1 postgres postgres   895 Mar 16 12:48 .viminfo
>    -rw-r--r--  1 postgres postgres 68234 Mar 16 12:47 .vimrc
>
> ## NOTE: .bashrc and .vimrc are edited COPIES (not symlinks) of /home/victoria/{.bashrc | .vimrc}
>
> [postgres@victoria ~]$ cat /var/lib/postgres/.bashrc
>
>    export PSQL_EDITOR="/usr/bin/nvim -u /var/lib/postgres/.vimrc"
>
> ## "/var/lib/postgres/.vimrc" is the same as "/home/victoria/.vimrc" EXCEPT
> ## that I commented out line 77, "execute pathogen#infect(), as that was
> ## throwing an error when starting nvim (Neovim) as the psql \e external editor.
>
> ## Important (slight annoyance: need to load that "postgres" .bashrc file:
>
> [postgres@victoria ~]$ exec bash
>
> [postgres@victoria ~]$ psql
>
>    psql (10.2)
>    Type "help" for help.
>
> [postgres]# \e      ## can edit in Neovim, with ~/.vimrc settings, preferences, customizations ...
>
> [postgres]# \q
>
> [postgres@victoria ~]$ exit
>
>    exit
>
> [victoria@victoria ~]$
>
> I wasn't able to automatically run the "exec bash" command after starting postgres, hence the need to manually run it
inthe postgres shell, prior to launching psql.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com