Re: Optimizing Read-Only Scalability - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Optimizing Read-Only Scalability
Date
Re: Optimizing Read-Only Scalability  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> In a thread on -perform it has been observed that our Read-Only
> scalability is not as good as it could be. One problem being that we
> need to scan the whole of the ProcArray to derive a snapshot, which
> becomes the dominant task with many users.

GetSnapshotData doesn't take an exclusive lock.  Neither does start or
end of a read-only transaction.  AFAIK there is no reason, and certainly
no shred of experimental evidence, to think that ProcArrayLock
contention is the bottleneck for read-only scenarios.