Re: XLog: how to log? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: XLog: how to log?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Both xact commit and abort have timestamps in the XLog.  I think valid
> recovery points are transaction commit/abort, not transaction start.

A transaction abort cannot be an interesting stop point either; you may
as well stop at the latest preceding commit.  Whatever the aborted
transaction did need not be entered into the database.

The abort record timestamps may be useful for navigation (to help
determine where you want to stop) but AFAICS only main transaction
commit records are useful stopping points.