Re: Detecting pointer misalignment (was Re: pgsql: Implementation of subscripting for jsonb) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Detecting pointer misalignment (was Re: pgsql: Implementation of subscripting for jsonb)
Date
Re: Detecting pointer misalignment (was Re: pgsql: Implementation of subscripting for jsonb)
List pgsql-hackers
I've updated buildfarm member longfin to use "-fsanitize=alignment
-fsanitize-trap=alignment", and it just got through a run successfully
with that.  It'd be good perhaps if some other buildfarm owners
followed suit (mumble JIT coverage mumble).

Looking around at other recent reports, it looks like we'll need to tweak
the compiler version cutoffs a bit.  I see for instance that spurfowl,
with gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.11) 5.4.0 20160609, is whining:

pg_crc32c_sse42.c:24:1: warning: \342\200\230no_sanitize\342\200\231 attribute directive ignored [-Wattributes]

So maybe it'd better be __GNUC__ >= 6 not __GNUC__ >= 5.  I think
we can wait a little bit for more reports before messing with that,
though.

Once this does settle, should we consider back-patching so that it's
possible to run alignment checks in the back branches too?