Re: non-root installation of Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Terrence Brannon
Subject Re: non-root installation of Postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tom Lane writes:
 : Terrence Brannon <blessed@sv-luka.org> writes:
 : > Hi, I used ./configure --prefix=/home/metaperl/install/pgsql to
 : > install postgres and then I did initdb and createdb and started the
 : > postmaster just fine.
 :
 : > However, attempting to connect via psql is failing with this error
 : > message:
 :
 : > urth:~/install/pgsql> ./bin/psql test metaperl
 : > psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
 : >     Is the server running locally and accepting
 : >     connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
 :
 : It looks to me like psql is looking for the socket in some other
 : directory than where the postmaster created it.  Do you perhaps
 : have an environment variable set that would override the compiled-in
 : default location?  (I think PGHOST=/var/run/postgresql would cause
 : the above behavior in psql, but AFAIR the postmaster does not pay any
 : attention to PGHOST.)

There was a /usr/bin/psql in my PATH superceding
~/install/bin/pgsql/bin/psql

Thanks for your help.