Re: Create Domain.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Create Domain....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Rod Taylor" <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> and the like.  There is currently no column in pg_type which stores
> information similar to atttypmod.  So, I'd like to create one ->
> pg_type.typmod.  The idea is that this value will be copied across to
> pg_attribute with other type information if it is not null.   Since
> pg_type.typeprtlen isn't used (according to docs) would it be safe to
> simply rename and resize (int4) this column?

Make another column.  It'll be good for you ;-) ... and you have to
learn how anyway, if you intend to finish out this project.

> Something of great fun however is DROP TYPE text.

Yeah, there's not really any support presently for dealing with
dependencies on dropped objects.  IMHO it would be a mistake to solve
that just in the context of any one kind of object (such as types);
it's a generic issue.