Re: [GENERAL] Re: Using different GCC, CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS to compile Postgres and PostGIS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: Using different GCC, CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS to compile Postgres and PostGIS?
Date
List pgsql-general
postgres user <postgresuser1989@gmail.com> writes:
> Also can you explain if I built Postgres from source on one platform lets
> say RHEL_6 and deployed its artifacts like its binaries, libs and share on
> a CentOS

In general I would not expect that to work.  RHEL to CentOS is a special
case because they're really the same platform --- if it didn't work, you'd
have grounds to file a bug against the CentOS maintainers.  But, say, RHEL
to Debian likely wouldn't work, and neither set of maintainers would
consider an ABI-compatibility complaint to be a valid bug.

> and tried building extensions against Postgres on CentOS are there
> any dangers of doing that?

Doesn't matter if the core system itself doesn't work, which it wouldn't
in cross-platform cases.

            regards, tom lane