Re: [GENERAL] COPY: row is too big - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] COPY: row is too big
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/26/2017 05:07 AM, doganmeh wrote:
> I am piggy-backing in this thread because I have the same issue as well. I
> need to import a csv file that is 672 columns long and each column consists
> of 12 alpha-numeric characters. Such as:
>
> SA03ARE1015D    SA03ARE1S15N    SB03ARE1015D  ...
> 356412            275812            43106  ...
>
> I am aware this is not normalized, however, we (or try to) keep source data
> intact, and normalize after importing into our system.
>
> While trying to import all columns to type `text` I get this error:
>
> [54000] ERROR: row is too big: size 8760, maximum size 8160
> Where: COPY temp_table, line 3
> SQL statement "copy temp_table from
> '/home/edgleweb/data/raw/TX/TAPR/2015/ADV/SSTAAR1ADV.csv' with delimiter ','
> quote '"' csv "
>
> I tried varchar(12) also, nothing changed. My questions is 1) I have
> 672x12=8,064 characters in the first row (which are actually the headers),
> why would it complain that it is 8760. I am assuming here type `text`
> occupies 1 byte for a character. 2) Is there anything I can do to work

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/datatype-character.html

"The storage requirement for a short string (up to 126 bytes) is 1 byte
plus the actual string, which includes the space padding in the case of
character."

> around this situation?

Use csvkit's csvcut tool to split the file?:

http://csvkit.readthedocs.io/en/1.0.2/scripts/csvcut.html