Re: Renaming tables and their indexes simultaneously - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Renaming tables and their indexes simultaneously
Date
List pgsql-general
Moshe Jacobson <moshe@neadwerx.com> writes:
> I have a stored procedure that renames a table as part of a partitioning
> scheme, then re-creates it.
> Up until recently (I'm not sure what changed), renaming the table would
> cause the pkey index/constraint, as well as all other indexes, to be
> renamed according to the new table name.

Really?  AFAICT, we've never done that --- at least not as far back as
7.2, which is as far as I felt like checking.

There did use to be some logic in there that tried to make index column
names track their underlying columns when you renamed a column.  But
we gave up on that in 9.0, mainly because of index-expression cases.

            regards, tom lane