Re: Testing of MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Testing of MVCC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Another line of thought is to write a fresh implementation of the wire
>> protocol all in Perl, so as not to depend on DBI or much of anything
>> except Perl's TCP support (which I hope is reasonably well standardized
>> ;-)).  If you wanted to do any testing at the protocol level ---
>> handling of bad messages, say --- you'd pretty much need this anyway
>> because no driver is going to let you get at things at such a low level.
>> But it'd raise the cost of getting started quite a bit.

> Maybe pulling some code from this would give us a leg up rather than
> having to start from scratch:  http://search.cpan.org/~arc/DBD-PgPP-0.05/

Another thought on this point: I think most of the pain is associated
with handling the startup authentication negotiation (at least if you
want to support all the auth method options).  Once you've got a live
connection the protocol's not all that complicated.  So one way to
leverage some code would be to use DBD or another existing driver to
handle the startup phase, and then just hack it to turn over the bare
socket to the test code.