Re: Could not read directory "pg_xlog": Invalid argument (on SSD Raid) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Could not read directory "pg_xlog": Invalid argument (on SSD Raid)
Date
List pgsql-general
Data Growth Pty Ltd <datagrowth@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm frequently getting these errors in my console:
> 4/11/09 2:25:04 PM    org.postgresql.postgres[192]    ERROR:  could not read
> directory "pg_xlog": Invalid argument
> Mac Pro Quad Nahelem 2.93GHz, 16GB RAM running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.1 in
> 64bit mode

This is a known bug in Snow Leopard --- readdir() calls fail after
having deleted a file in the directory.  We are hoping that Apple fixes
it in 10.6.2, because trying to kluge around it seems like a mess.
Your example is actually in a different place from the known case in
DROP TABLESPACE, which just reinforces that trying to avoid the bug at
the application level would be difficult.

I'm running 10.6 myself on my laptop, but I think it ought to be
regarded as not quite stable enough for production servers yet :-(

            regards, tom lane