Re: pg_basebackup, walreceiver and wal_sender_timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Kliukin
Subject Re: pg_basebackup, walreceiver and wal_sender_timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 28, 2019, at 10:25, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 09:05:26AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > And for plain format, we'd do the same -- sync after each file segment, and
> > then a final one of the directory when done, right?
>
> Well, the code is doing a double amount of work in its current shape
> as we call fsync_pgdata() for the plain format, which cascades to
> pg_wal and all its files, so it seems to me that there is little point
> in issuing a sync when each segment is finished streaming if that's
> what you mean.

Agreed.

While reading the doc page for the pg_basebackup, I've been confused by the fact that it says WAL files will be written
to.tarballs (either base.tar or pg_wal.tar) when pg_basebackup is instructed to stream WALs alongside the backup
itself.I think it makes sense to elaborate that it only happens when tar format is specified (doc patch is attached).

Cheers,
Oleksii

Attachment