Re: Vacuous errors in pg_dump ... | pg_restore pipeline - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuous errors in pg_dump ... | pg_restore pipeline
Date
List pgsql-general
"Kynn Jones" <kynnjo@gmail.com> writes:
> As far as the shell is concerned, this pipeline fails, due to three errors
> emitted by pg_restore.  All these errors are vacuous, as far as I can tell.

They're hardly vacuous --- they're telling you that the destination
database will be missing plpgsql, which was in the source database.

The only really good way around that pre-8.3 is to run the restore as
a database superuser.  As of 8.3 it should be sufficient to be the
database's owner.

If you don't have any actual use for plpgsql in this database, maybe
you should remove it from the source DB?

> BTW, while on this subject: is there a way to modify the pipeline above to
> minimize the number of warnings and notices generated during pg_restore?

... | PGOPTIONS="--client_min_messages=warning" pg_restore ...

            regards, tom lane