Re: Table Partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Table Partitioning
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 01:33:29PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>> If I've well understood, this was not the case in previous versions, but it
>> becomes mandatory in version 12 (and maybe 11 too). Such restriction is not
>> mentioned in the documentation for version 12 and would be suitable to be.

> Can you give us a reproducible test case?

I don't think this is correct at all.  The facility for pkeys or unique
constraints on partitioned tables simply didn't exist before v11:

$ psql
psql (10.13)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# create table p(f1 int primary key, f2 int) partition by list(f2);
ERROR:  primary key constraints are not supported on partitioned tables
LINE 1: create table p(f1 int primary key, f2 int) partition by list...
                              ^
postgres=# create table p(f1 int unique, f2 int) partition by list(f2);
ERROR:  unique constraints are not supported on partitioned tables
LINE 1: create table p(f1 int unique, f2 int) partition by list(f2);
                              ^

so the fact that they're restricted in this way as of v11 and up
does not represent any loss of functionality.

            regards, tom lane