Re: Move vs. copy table between databases that share a tablespace? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Move vs. copy table between databases that share a tablespace?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 2019-Apr-03, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, thinking about that a bit harder: there's one aspect of
>> what pg_upgrade does that's really hard to control from userspace,
>> and that's forcing tables to have the same OIDs as before.  In this
>> context, that means you're probably out of luck if the table has a
>> TOAST table, unless the TOAST table is empty.  There wouldn't be
>> any good way to keep TOAST pointers valid across the move.

> Hmm, couldn't you use the binary-upgrade support functions just prior to
> creating the table in the target database?

Yeah, in theory you could do that, if the OID isn't already in use for
a table.  But that just added several more steps and more ways to
shoot yourself in the foot.  I'm starting to think this wouldn't really
be worth the risk.

            regards, tom lane