Re: Fix for erroneous warning on Shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fix for erroneous warning on Shutdown
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I could argue that a client-driven process that issues CHECKPOINT every
>> few seconds is equally deserving of a warning.  The only thing wrong is
>> that the HINT is inapplicable ... but that's why it's a HINT and not
>> part of the main message.

> Also consider they could have issued a checkpoint right after the system
> did one.  Yuck.

> When I added the warning I hoped to only have it happen for full logs
> and not CHECKPOINT, but I guess I couldn't and someone else realized
> that and added that clearer comment, or originally I could do that, but
> since it has been moved into the bgwriter, it can't anymore.

I believe the original implementation in the postmaster had a somewhat
different set of bugs ;-).  IIRC it did not react to manual checkpoints
but it did confuse WAL checkpoints with timeout-driven checkpoints.
The present bgwriter can distinguish the third but not the first two.

If we were willing to take the time to generalize the
backend-to-bgwriter signaling mechanism then we could distinguish
WAL-driven checkpoints from manually issued checkpoints.  I'm sort of
intending to do that anyway.  The question stands though: why isn't it
appropriate to warn of overly-frequently-issued manual checkpoints?

            regards, tom lane