Re: [9.1beta1] UTF-8/Regex Word-Character Definition excluding accented letters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [9.1beta1] UTF-8/Regex Word-Character Definition excluding accented letters
Date
List pgsql-general
"David Johnston" <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
> PostgreSQL 9.1beta1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 64-bit (EnterpriseDB
> Install Executable)

> CREATE DATABASE betatest
>                 TEMPLATE template0
>                 ENCODING 'UTF8'
>                 LC_COLLATE 'C'
>                 LC_CTYPE 'C';

> CREATE DOMAIN idcode AS text
>                 NOT NULL CHECK (VALUE ~* '^\w[-:\w]*$')
> ;

> SELECT 'AAAAA�aaaaa'::idcode; // -> SQL Error: ERROR:  value for domain
> idcode violates check constraint "idcode_check" (note the accented �e�
> between all the �A�s)

AFAICS that's correct behavior.  C locale should not think that � is
a letter.

> This is running just fine against a 9.0 install on the same machine.

We made some strides towards getting locale-sensitive stuff to work as
it "should" in 9.1.  In particular, platform-specific creative
interpretations of what C locale means shouldn't happen anymore ...

            regards, tom lane