Re: Re: charin(), text_char() should return something else for empty input - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: charin(), text_char() should return something else for empty input
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> Mapping '' to ' ' doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  It isn't what
> I'd expect.
> I think the behavior you describe in this note is better.

I'm coming to that conclusion as well.  If you look closely, both
charin() and charout() act that way already; so the second proposal
boils down to making the text <=> char conversion functions act in
accordance with the way that char's I/O conversions already act.
That seems a less drastic change than altering both I/O and conversion
behavior.