Re: Is This A Set Based Solution? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is This A Set Based Solution?
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Berglund <sorry.no.koolaid@for.me> writes:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:37:08 -0500, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
>> It looks pretty ugly to me too, but you haven't explained your problem
>> clearly enough for anyone to be able to recommend a better solution path.
>> Why do you feel you need to do this?  What is the context?

> What I want to do is to create a function that takes a comma separated
> string of numbers and produces a table (where each row is one of those
> numbers) that can be joined to other tables as in the example first
> provided.

That was what you said before.  The question is why you need to do that.
It strikes me that having such a requirement is a symptom of poor data
representation choices.  Perhaps an array would be better, or maybe you
ought to refactor your table layout altogether.  But, as I said, you
haven't provided any info that would let someone give advice at that
level.

            regards, tom lane