Re: Psql errors - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Psql errors
Date
List pgsql-admin
Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> writes:
> I just installed Postgres 8.3.4.  I have an instance of 8.2.4 running
> on the same box.  When I start psql I get errors as follows:
> template1=# \l
> ld.so.1: psql: fatal: relocation error: file /db02/postgres/bin/psql:
> symbol pg_valid_server_encoding_id: referenced symbol not found

pg_valid_server_encoding_id is exported by the 8.3 version of libpq.so,
but not by 8.2.  So the problem here is that your 8.3 psql is binding
to the wrong version of libpq.so.  You didn't say what the platform
is, but the issue is probably related to the search path used to find
shared libraries.

It would probably work to just overwrite the 8.2 library with 8.3
--- it should be backwards compatible.  (Better save a backup copy
in case not, of course.)

            regards, tom lane