Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> _That_ is an excellent point.  However, do we know at the time we open
> the file descriptor if we will be doing this?

We'd have to say on a per-read basis whether we want O_DIRECT or not,
and fd.c would need to provide a suitable file descriptor.

> What about cache
> coherency problems with other backends not opening with O_DIRECT?

If O_DIRECT introduces cache coherency problems against other processes
not using O_DIRECT then the whole idea is a nonstarter, but I can't
imagine any kernel hackers would have been stupid enough to allow that
to happen ...