Re: A patch for xlog.c - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A patch for xlog.c
Date
List pgsql-patches
Matthew Kirkwood <matthew@hairy.beasts.org> writes:
> Forgive me if I posted it to the wrong place -- I was far from
> proposing this for inclusion.

Diffs posted to pgsql-patches are generally considered to be requests
for application of a patch.  If this is only an experiment it had best
be clearly labeled as such.

> It is but a small step on the way to my plan of mmap()ifying all of
> the WAL stuff (which may also prove a waste of effort).

Very probably.  What are your grounds for thinking that's a good idea?
I can't see any reason to think that mmap is more efficient than write
for simple sequential writes, which is what we need to do.

            regards, tom lane