Re: Does getopt() return "-1", or "EOF", at end? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Does getopt() return "-1", or "EOF", at end?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Doug Royer <Doug@royer.com> writes:
> Would the correct question be, "what does POSIX define?". More
> and more systems (at least Unix systems) are defining POSIX
> interfaces. I don't have my POSIX CD here with me or I would
> quote the getopt() definition. I ~think~ it says EOF, and
> the target systems include files define what EOF means.

I looked at the Single Unix Specification at
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/
and their man page for getopt says "-1".
I believe SUS is derived from POSIX among others.
If POSIX does say EOF then we might have a conflict,
but otherwise the tide seems to be running to -1.