Re: Monitoring postmaster.log - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Monitoring postmaster.log
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@cable.comcast.com> writes:
> I am trying to setup rules to monitor the postmaster.log file, but I
> don't see a way to do it cleanly. I want to monitor for FATAL  and
> PANIC, but the problem is that when someon give the wrong password
> logging in, it gives a FATAL error and I don't want to be woken up in
> the middle of the night because of a typo.

Do you actually have a use-case for watching for FATAL errors?  I don't
offhand know of any examples where that's important for an admin to pay
attention to.  FATAL implies a clean exit of the current session, and
we don't really use that for anything except connection startup rejections
of various sorts (like bad password or too many clients already).

            regards, tom lane