Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From martinwerfel12
Subject Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* My vote is that we should try to get freeze maps into 9.6 - that seems
* More realistic given that we have a patch right now. Yes, it might end
* Up being superfluous churn, but it's rather localized. I think around
*We’ve put off significant incremental improvements off with the promise
*Of more radical stuff too often.

Superfluous churn in the code isn't too bad. But superfluous churn in
Data formats might be a bit scarier. Would we be able to handle
pg_upgrade from a database with or without a freeze map? Would you have?
To upgrade once to add the freeze map then again to remove it?

Surely we wouldn't introduce and remove freeze-maps between minor versions.
So either it is a new major version, in which case you would be doing the
upgrade anyway, or they would be added and then removed again all within one
development cycle; and running unreleased code always has on-disk
incompatibility churn.  Or am I missing your point here?

Cheers,
Martin

-----
Kamagra