Re: BUG #14242: Role with a setconfig "role" setting to a nonexistent role causes pg_upgrade to fail - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #14242: Role with a setconfig "role" setting to a nonexistent role causes pg_upgrade to fail
Date
In response to Re: BUG #14242: Role with a setconfig "role" setting to a nonexistent role causes pg_upgrade to fail  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
>> bossartn@amazon.com <javascript:;> writes:
>>> 2. As foo, execute "alter role foo set role = 'foo'"

> I'm at a loss to understand what this does when it isn't broken.  Assuming
> valid grants does the user become the assigned role upon session startup?

As written it does nothing much.  But "SET ROLE" is defined by the SQL
standard, and what I'd expect this to do is execute an implicit SET ROLE
at login.  Whether that's a good idea is pretty debatable, though, thus
my question whether we'd not be better off to forbid this.

            regards, tom lane