Re: build error: strlcat/strlcpy used from heimdal libroken.so - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: build error: strlcat/strlcpy used from heimdal libroken.so
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Martin von Gagern <Martin.vGagern@gmx.net> writes:
> As I see it, Gentoo is one of the best ways to expose bugs in the build
> system of any package, due to the high number of from-source builds
> using various setups that Gentoo users perform. So I'd not say you'd be
> adjusting pgsql to Gentoo, but you'd be fixing a bug in your build
> system which Gentoo users have found and analyzed, but which might as
> well hit other people building from source on their own.

It's not a bug in our build system; it's a bug in Gentoo's library set,
ie, the heimdal library is exposing a symbol that it can't actually
guarantee to provide.  If it were a generic issue we'd be seeing it
reported on other Linuxen, since AFAIK nobody's glibc provides strlcpy.

The question for us is whether we should install a workaround, which in
any case would only be needed until Gentoo fixes their heimdal build.
I'm inclined to agree with Bruce that it's not worth the trouble ---
especially since I don't care for any of the solutions you proposed.
Most of them could break other platforms.

            regards, tom lane