BUG #15250: ERROR: could not find pathkey item to sort - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PG Bug reporting form
Subject BUG #15250: ERROR: could not find pathkey item to sort
Date
Re: BUG #15250: ERROR: could not find pathkey item to sort  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      15250
Logged by:          Sara Pranke
Email address:      sara.pranke@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.4.17
Operating system:   Debian 8.0

I have complex queries in large tables that use memory for sorting items, we
upgrate PostgreSQL from 9.1 to 9.4 and in this version we get this error:
'could not find pathkey item to sort'

I increased the work_mem to 1GB and this improved the performance and avoid
the error, but with the pass of the day is like the memory is not liberate
and crash to another queries with sorting itens, causing the error.

I searching about this error and the last report is in version 9.3.5.

In some point (something about of end at the day) the memory is liberate and
is possible execute the same queries that was not possible before.

We have replication and the config is like this;

shared_buffers = 4084037kB
work_mem = 1000MB
checkpoint_segments = 96
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9