Re: dual active 2-node cluster? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: dual active 2-node cluster?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2018-04-13 at 03:01 -0700, Ron Watkins wrote:
> We are working to setup a production environment and as such one requirement is to have
> as few single points of failure as possible. To that end, I have been searching the web
> for how to setup a 2-node cluster where both nodes are active. The goal is to allow both
> nodes to service SQL requests (load/query) and have a load balancer in front of the
> database to allow for transparent outage and node recovery.

You'd need synchronous replication, and if you do that with two nodes,
you'll get low availability because any outage will take down the whole
system.  That's not a shortcoming, that's unavoidable.

You need at least three nodes for decent high availability, particularly
if you want load balancing.

Look into Patroni for a high availability solution.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe