Re: Greatest Common Divisor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Greatest Common Divisor
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 03/01/2020 20:14, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> I'm unsure about gcd(INT_MIN, 0) should error. Possibly 0 would be nicer?

> What justification for that do you have?

Zero is the "correct" answer for that, isn't it, independently of overflow
considerations?  We should strive to give the correct answer if it's known
and representable, rather than have arbitrary failure conditions.

(IOW, we should throw errors only when the *result* is out of range
or undefined, not just because the input is an edge case.)