Re: unreliable behaviour of track_functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pinker
Subject Re: unreliable behaviour of track_functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/monitoring-stats.html#PG-STAT-USER-FUNCTIONS-VIEW
>
> "...But if you want to see new results with each query, be sure to do
> the queries outside any transaction block. Alternatively, you can invoke
> pg_stat_clear_snapshot(), which will discard the current transaction's
> statistics snapshot (if any). The next use of statistical information
> will cause a new snapshot to be fetched.
>
> A transaction can also see its own statistics (as yet untransmitted to
> the collector) in the views pg_stat_xact_all_tables,
> pg_stat_xact_sys_tables, pg_stat_xact_user_tables, and
> pg_stat_xact_user_functions. These numbers do not act as stated above;
> instead they update continuously throughout the transaction.
>
> "
> Adrian Klaver

> adrian.klaver@

Thank you for that, but does this strange behaviour should not be better
documented?
If somebody (like me, I have some time ago being unaware of this behaviour)
wants to build a monitoring system that base on the view
pg_stat_user_functions, should not be informed what to expect?

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html