Re: Issue with PostgreSQL replication and PITR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Issue with PostgreSQL replication and PITR
Date
List pgsql-general
Amee Sankhesara - Quipment India wrote:
> We have setup replication and PITR on this PostgreSQL server and wal files
> for replication and PITR we are storing on the another server which is
> shared with primary and secondary server.
>
> For doing some OS migration activity for the PostgreSQL database servers
> We created two new replication server and promoted to new master server for the same
>
> During that activity one .partial file is created on master server and after
> that wal files are not copied in shared folder from which secondary server
> take it and restore it. All Wal files after .partial file are stored in pg_xlog
> folder of master data so it is increasing size of data directory of master server.
>
> Wal files are not copying in shared location of master and secondary server but
> still replication is running and on secondary server data is up to date.
>
> In logs getting only below warning :
> Warning : The failed archive command was:
>   copy "D:\PostgreSQL\9.6\data\pg_xlog\0000000100000A88000000F8.partial"
>   "\\10.0.0.35\Archive_Replication\0000000100000A88000000F8.partial"
>   | copy "D:\PostgreSQL\9.6\data\pg_xlog\0000000100000A88000000F8.partial"
>   "\\10.0.0.35\Archive_PITR\0000000100000A88000000F8.partial"
>
> Can’t figure out that in shared folder wal files are not copied but still
> secondary server is running in sync with master server.
>
> What could be reason behind this?

If archiving is not working and the standby still can replicat, I would assume
that streaming replication is configured.

Is "primary_conninfo" defined in "recovery.conf"?
Are there WAL sender and WAL receiver processes?

> And how to remove this .partial file from pg_xlog safely and how to start
> copying wal files from pg_xlog of master server to shared location of master
> and secondary server ?

You should try to figure out why your "archive_command" fails; perhaps
try it by hand.  Once you have got that fixed, archiving will continue normally.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe