Re: We no longer have a fallback for machines without working int64 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: We no longer have a fallback for machines without working int64
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:47:33AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> As pointed out here
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-01/msg00145.php
>> the current zic code doesn't cope gracefully with lack of working
>> int64.  Considering the trouble we've gone to throughout the rest of
>> the system to support such compilers, it's a bit annoying to have
>> this little detail break it.  On the other hand, it's unclear that
>> anybody still cares.  (Other than people running SCO Openserver, for
>> whom I have little sympathy anyway.)

> There was a use case for supporting non-working int64, but reality has
> changed.

Yeah, maybe it's time to forget about that.  If so, we ought to change
configure to spit up if it can't find a working 64-bit type.  Failing
much later on with a strange message from zic isn't too acceptable.

I propose doing that in both HEAD and 8.4, since both those branches are
broken for someone with such a compiler.