Re: dirty_ratio & dirty_background_ratio settings with huge memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pinker
Subject Re: dirty_ratio & dirty_background_ratio settings with huge memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Laurenz Albe wrote
> Yes, you should set vm.dirty_background_bytes and vm.dirty_bytes
> and not use the *_ratio settings.
>
> 2 GB for vm.dirty_background_bytes and 1 GB for vm.dirty_bytes sounds
> fine.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
> --
> Cybertec | https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com

Thank you Laurenz. I was always wondering why not to set bigger window
between those 2. Because setting dirty_background_bytes seems quite natural
for me, i.e. start to write asynchronously faster, but why to provoke stalls
faster? is it not better to stretch the window much wider, like 1GB for
dirty_background_bytes and for instance 20 GB dirty_bytes? it's the Approach
3: Both Ways from
https://lonesysadmin.net/2013/12/22/better-linux-disk-caching-performance-vm-dirty_ratio/

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html