Missing steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft WindowsSDK" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From PG Doc comments form
Subject Missing steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft WindowsSDK"
Date
List pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/install-windows-full.html

Hi,
I am not very experienced and some of these corrections may be trivial or
childish.

I have been following the steps for "Building with Visual C++ or the
Microsoft Windows SDK" for 9.6. using Visual Studio 2015.
Everything was pretty straightforward aside from a few things:

- I didn't find a config.pl file and wasn't sure if I created it what
exactly to put in it (I thought about copy/paste from the
"config_default.pl" but decided not to). Instead I added all the required
libraries to the system PATH.

- After having successfully run "build" and "install" I was having issues
running the regression tests. "vcregress check" ran fine but after that I
kept getting this error:
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
        Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
Obviously, there was no server running. But I was never instructed to create
a data directory or user, and run "initDB" and "pgstl Start" before this
step. I think that should be added somewhere between to avoid confusion. (I
may be completely wrong and have missed some step somewhere)

Thanks
Michael