Re: Differing data directories - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Differing data directories
Date
List pgsql-novice
Ron Watkins wrote:
> I have a postgresql server setup/installed (finally).
> Currently, it’s installed data directory is: /var/lib/pgsql/10/data
> However, I need to put a database into a custom filesystem.
> Is it possible to have multiple PGDATA directories, and if so, how?
>
> Currently, the postgres database is under /var/lib/pgsql/10/data,
> but I need my main database to be in a different filesystem…

One simple solution would be:

# systemctl stop postgresql-10  # or whatever it takes to stop the server
# mv /var/lib/pgsql/10/data /your/mountpoint
# ln -s /your/mountpoint/data /var/lib/pgsql/10/data

Then you have to make sure that the operating system user has
permissions to enter the mount point.

Start your server and you are done.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe