Re: AS OF queries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From legrand legrand
Subject Re: AS OF queries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> But performing this query on each access to the table seems to be bad
> idea: in case of nested loop join it can cause significant degrade of
> performance.

this could be a pre-plan / pre-exec check, no more.

> But I am not sure that this check is actually needed.
> If table is changed in some incompatible way, then we will get error in
> any case.

It seems that with path v3, a query with asof_timestamp
set before a truncate or alter table doesn't throw any error,
just gives an empty result (even if there was data).

> If table change is not critical for this query (for example some column
> was added or removed which is not used in this query),
> then should we really throw error in this case?

no error is needed if result is correct.

Regards
PAscal

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-hackers-f1928748.html