Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [SQL] aliases break my query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
> How about a SET variable which allows PostgreSQL to reject any
> queries which are not entirely within the specificaton; kind of
> like -ansi -pedantic with gcc? Perhaps that's quite a bit of
> work, but it seems quite valuable for developing portable
> applications...Of course dependency on PostgreSQL extensions
> isn't a bad thing either ;-)

Hmm.  Some aspects of that seem fairly straightforward, like rejecting
the table-not-in-FROM extension being discussed here.  On the other
hand, it'd be painful to check for uses of datatypes or functions not
present in the standard.

In any case, I think the general reaction will be "good idea but a huge
amount of work compared to the reward".  Unless someone steps forward
who's willing to do the work, I'd bet this won't happen...