Re: ALTER SYSTEM for tcp_keepalives_idle doesn't show up with theSHOW command. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robertson, Alan L
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM for tcp_keepalives_idle doesn't show up with theSHOW command.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
So, if I understand correctly, this query would yield one row if it was syntactically correct, and no rows if it had a
syntaxerror.

And there's nothing which indicates if it is currently activated or not.

Do I understand that correctly?

    Thanks!

From: David Fetter <david@fetter.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:19 AM
To: David G. Johnston
Cc: Amit Kapila; Robertson, Alan L; Tom Lane; Postgres Bug
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM for tcp_keepalives_idle doesn't show up with the SHOW command.

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 09:13:38AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 9:05 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>

> > The following hack works for me.  Apart from being ugly, it's
> > fundamentally unsatisfactory because the question of whether the
> > setting has been activated is left unsettled
> >

> Starting with 9.5 we've at least made the parsing of the configuration file
> unnecessary:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/view-pg-file-settings.html

Great!  That awful query turns into:

SELECT setting
FROM pg_file_settings
WHERE
    "name" = 'tcp_keepalives_idle' AND
    applied;

...which is a real improvement.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!
E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidentialand/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this
messagehas been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this
messageand any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution,copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.