Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I unfortunately haven't followed this in detail, but shouldn't it be
> relatively easily to make this even cheaper by checking for
> HEAP_HASEXTERNAL?  If it's not set we don't need to iterate over the
> composite's columns, right?

That's the point I made further down: we could do that if we were willing
to abandon the principle that nested fields shouldn't be compressed.
It's not very clear what it'd cost us to give that up.  (Too bad we didn't
define a HEAP_HASCOMPRESSED flag bit ...)