Re: PostgreSQL : error hint for LATERAL join - Mailing list pgsql-general

From PALAYRET Jacques
Subject Re: PostgreSQL : error hint for LATERAL join
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

Your point of view is interesting. May I discuss it ?
One answered to me on my question about " bug (ou not) in CTE Common Table Expressions or Subqueries in the FROM Clause " :
"  Its doesn’t have to seem logical to you, but this is how it is defined to work and thus the observed behavior is not a bug. "
I thought about it and OK, even if regretted that the PostgreSQL language sometimes (rarely) doesn't really make sense for me (given my logic).

So, are standards the rule or not ?
For me, one of the two following things should be true : either the hint (in case of a lateral error) is incomplete or the possibility of " cross join lateral " should be removed.

Of course, the idea of CROSS join doesn't make think about LATERAL idea.
But, is there a difference between a CROSS join and a INNER join with the " ON TRUE " clause ?
Note : an inner join is a cross join with a clause ON (logical condition) and OK, of course, an INNER join has not always " ON TRUE " clause, but it can.

I think you are right to write " Because the lateral takes precedence ".
LATERAL " takes precedence " over CROSS in the same way as INNER JOIN ... and INNER JOIN ON TRUE
With LATERAL, joins are no more independant relations, neither CROSS or INNER.

SELECT *
FROM (
VALUES ('a'),('b')
) t (c1)