Load balancing lots of simultaneous clients or queries? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dirk Lutzebaeck
Subject Load balancing lots of simultaneous clients or queries?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

suppose a lot of clients are using the database server with different
complex queries simultaneously. I understand that all clients are
equal so clients with large tasks would hamper clients with small
tasks.

It would be nice if a client could say: hey I know I have a large task
/ query please set me to a low priority. So the server would withdraw some
cpu and io cycles from this task.

On a per process basis one would do this with 'nice' but how could
that be applied to the postmaster/postgres mechanism?

Or in a more complex mod_perl scenario where httpd processes don't
open/close connections for new requests (by Apache::DBI).

Something like SET PRIORITY...

Any comments?

Dirk