Re: Module dependency on PostgeSQL version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Module dependency on PostgeSQL version
Date
Re: Module dependency on PostgeSQL version  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> writes:
> The PGSQL_MAJOR_VER and PGSQL_MINOR_VER does not exist today. Ideally,
> I'd like to find them in src/Makefile.global. Only thing present seems
> to be the VERSION. I'd like to see something like:

> PGSQL_MAJOR_VER := 7
> PGSQL_MINOR_VER := 5
> PGSQL_PATCH_VER := devel
> VERSION := $(PGSQL_MAJOR_VER).$(PGSQL_MINOR_VER).$(PGSQL_PATCH_VER)

> To be used in CPPFLAGS as: -DPGSQL_MAJOR_VER=$(PGSQL_MAJOR_VER) etc.

Wouldn't it be better to just put those #defines in to begin with,
rather than requiring people to hack on their CPPFLAGS?  I don't offhand
see much need for knowing the PG version at the Makefile level, but I
do see the usefulness at the C-code level.

I think Joe Conway is already doing something like this for pl/r ...
leastwise he's shown bits of #ifdef'd code in past email.  It would
be interesting to see the details of his solution.