Re: [GENERAL] Non-overlapping updates blocking each other - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seamus Abshere
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Non-overlapping updates blocking each other
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017, at 12:34 PM, Seamus Abshere wrote:
> The specific relation varies, but it appears to always be compound GIN
> index on (jsonb, text)

This is definitely GIN fastupdate. I turned off fastupdate and the
blocks go away. I have a feeling, however, that my UPDATEs will actually
get slower (testing now).

I'm most interested in the fastest UPDATEs possible, even if reads
suffer or similar UPDATEs take wildly different amounts of time.

Should I crank maintenance_work_mem and gin_pending_list_limit  way up,
and autovacuum thresholds way down?