Re: [GENERAL] "Shared strings"-style table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seamus Abshere
Subject Re: [GENERAL] "Shared strings"-style table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 03:16 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> implement a "system-managed-enum" type with many of the same properties
[...]
> TOAST does involved compression but the input to
> the compression algorithm is a single cell (row and column) in a table.​
> As noted above I consider the TOAST table and main table to be a single
> logical table.

See this sounds like _exactly_ what I want. Except with a content hash
instead of an id.

Seems to me like all of the machinery that allows you to look things up
by TOASTed columns and subsequently return TOASTed values as if they
resided in the same physical table is what is needed.