Re: Test CMake build - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Test CMake build
Date
List pgsql-general
> Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> Cmake 2 times faster, that is good, but I don't understand why. Which
>> optimization level does cmake buld use by default? Which compiler does it
>> take? It's not obvious, because cmake build hides actual compiler command
>> line.

> Hm, I don't think having the compile/link lines be hidden up is
> acceptable.  Many times we need to debug some compile problem, and the
> output is mandatory.

As long as it's *possible* to expose the commands, I see nothing wrong
with hiding them by default.  I personally almost always use "make -s"
these days, and would not mind if that became the default behavior.
But there had better be a switch to do the other thing.

The other make switch I use all the time is -jN (with varying values of N
depending on what machine I'm on).  If cmake can't provide an equivalent
feature, that would be a large minus, because if you have a decent number
of cores -j makes a huge difference in build time.

            regards, tom lane