Re: sorting RTL languages. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: sorting RTL languages.
Date
List pgsql-general
Amir Hardon <hardon@actcom.co.il> writes:
> I need to get sorted data from a database I have on postgresql,
> the data is in Hebrew which is written from right to left,
> now when I do a SELECT ... ORDER BY ... I get the information sorted by the
> last letter first.
> Is there anyway to overcome this? other than holding the data reversed?

If your machine has a Hebrew locale setting in which sorting is done
right-to-left, then you could initdb in that locale, and text sorting
would happen according to the locale rules.

If you want only some of your columns to be sorted per Hebraic rules,
I'm afraid we have no good answer at present :-( --- database locale
settings are all-or-nothing, at least as far as sort ordering goes.

            regards, tom lane