Re: Bug in date arithmetic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug in date arithmetic
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> ... I'm not sure why it's complaining about field overflow
> rather than syntax error when the literal is taken as a timestamp,
> but that's a pretty minor issue.

Oh, of course, it's because we allow this shorthand:

regression=# select '900102'::timestamptz;     timestamptz
------------------------1990-01-02 00:00:00-05
(1 row)

so '900000'::timestamptz is seen as year (19)90, month 00, day 00,
and "field out of range" is entirely sensible for that.

Just out of curiosity, what were you *expecting* this to do?
You obviously weren't expecting the literal to be taken as
interval, but its contents are not very sane for any other
likely interpretation.