Re: « The PL/pgSQL interpreter parses the function's source text and produces an internal binary instruction tree... » - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: « The PL/pgSQL interpreter parses the function's source text and produces an internal binary instruction tree... »
Date
In response to « The PL/pgSQL interpreter parses the function's source text and produces an internal binary instruction tree... »  (Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com>)
Responses Re: « The PL/pgSQL interpreter parses the function's source text and produces an internal binary instruction tree... »  (Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com>)
Re: Re: « The PL/pgSQL interpreter parses the function's source text and produces an internal binary instruction tree... »  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

> On Jul 28, 2022, at 18:04, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
> Is this expected?

Yes.  This isn't a bug.

> In other words, is there a careful explanation of what "parse" means in the context of "create or replace" for a
subprogramthat predicts all of the outcomes that I reported here?

Database objects (such as tables and columns) are left as identifiers until they are executed, because that is the
pointat which a plan for those statements is created.  The other components of PL/pgSQL are translated to internal form
(andthus checked for existence) as compile time.