Re: postgres 8 settings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres 8 settings
Date
List pgsql-general
"vinita bansal" <sagivini@hotmail.com> writes:
> Do these settings seem fine or I am making some mistake. These settings when
> used with Postgres 7.4 gave me good results but they don't seem to work with
> Postgres 8.0. Am I missing out on something??

Define "don't seem to work", please.

Offhand the only thing that comes to mind is that the GEQO parameters
changed meaning a bit in 8.0; you shouldn't blindly set geqo_effort the
same as you used to.  But with geqo_threshold so high it may not matter
... do you even have any queries with more than 25 tables?

Also, it's just plain bizarre to have work_mem larger than
maintenance_work_mem; I cannot imagine any sane reason to do that.
Are you sure that work_mem = 128M is really a safe setting on your
hardware?  If you have a good number of clients all concurrently
doing complicated queries, you could easily find yourself pushed
into swapping.

I concur with Mike's thought that shared_buffers = 100000 is on the high
side.  wal_buffers = 1000 strikes me as a waste of RAM too; do you have
any proof that it helps to set it above 10?

Do you really think it's a good idea to disable the bgwriter?
Especially with such a long intercheckpoint time?

            regards, tom lane